We’ve spent our first lesson of the year (my first ever Photographic Journalism lesson) looking at the library resources at our disposal. Throughout this year we’ll be utilising a variety of databases to search through newspapers, journals and other texts as well as different media types.
I feel that these resources will be hugely important for learning about our subject areas.
Below are some references in the Harvard style, which reference three publications we will be using in the coming weeks and months.
Marshall McLuhan – The Medium is the Massage
- MacDonald, M 2006, ‘Empire and Communication: The Medium Wars of McLuhan’, Media, Culture & Society, 28, 4, pp.505-520.
- Marshall Mcluhan, The Medium is the massage : an inventory of effects/ Marshall Mcluhan, Quentin Fiore, Publication Corte Madera, Latif, Allen Lane, 2001.
- (2011) How to keep your head in business. Sunday Business Post, 25 Sep.
Roland Barthes – Camera Lucida
- Levy, L 2009, ‘The Question of Photographic Meaning in Roland Barthes’ Camera Lucida’, Philosophy Today, 53, 4, pp.395-406.
- Alpert, A 2010, ‘Overcome by Photography: Camera Lucida in an International Frame’, Third Text, 24, 3, pp.331-339.
- A. O. Scott (2011) Capturing a Single Moment Of Perfect Stillness. The New York Times, 8 May, pg. 58.
John Berger – Ways of Seeing
- Berger, J (2008) Ways of seeing, London, Penguin – Headingley Library, 701.15.
- Steven, P 1979, ‘The Ways of Seeing: Against Kenneth Clark, for John Berger’, Jump Cut: A Review of Contemporary Media, 20, pp. 7-8, MLA International Bibliography, EBSCOhost, viewed 26 Sep 2011.
- Collings, M 2005, ‘Ways of seeing’, Modern Painters, pp. 26-29, Academic Search Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 26 Sep 2011.