Today we undertook several tasks concerning the creation and publication of magazines. With the right software, knowledge and publication platform, high quality magazines (and other documents) can be made and published by almost anyone. To create our own test magazines we used Adobe InDesign, a program I hadn’t used before, but found fine to work with given my experience with Adobe Photoshop. We also briefly discussed web-based publication platforms such as scribd.com and issu.com, both of which we will be looking at in more detail in the future.
The first task was to create a template for a magazine, which would be used to keep the content formatted, consistent and easy to read. I used an A4 template with four pages, a background layer and a content layer. I inserted grid lines to divide the pages into equal thirds, like in this screen grab.
I then added three text boxes following the grid lines. These text boxes are easily linked and allow text to continue from one to the other, whilst maintaining the typical column-like format found in newspapers and magazines. I inserted the text and images from my list article task and resized them to get the best fit. You can see the outcome in this screen grab.
The second task concentrated on creating the cover page of my magazine, which I have named Comic Eye for continuity with the first task. Firstly, I created a new document with the dimensions 8.5inches x 11inches. I added extra space for bleed, which is important when creating a document for print as it allows space for movement of paper, and slug, which is useful for including information about the job, publication or page. For example, the slug could contain contact details of the featured photographer. You can see the resulting template below.
Next, we designed the masthead of our magazine. I chose a large, simple font with an eye symbol, which visualises the name of the magazine, making it more memorable. Other information was then added, such as the website address, issue date, story teasers and photographs. All this came together to create an attractive and effective magazine coverpage, as you can see below in my final screen grab. At the very bottom of this post you will find a larger image of the final product, which I am very pleased with.
I feel that these tasks went very well and I am happy that I have put a lot into learning to use a great new piece of software. I think this workshop will benefit me a lot when it comes to creating our group magazine next semester.