To give the website a very simple and functional feel I’ve decided to create a unique menu system. After clicking on he initial landing page, the user will see the menu page, which will offer all of the articles available on the site. I’ve decided on presenting the links to all of the articles as a set of tiles within a honeycomb layout. Each of these tiles will provide a photo from the article, the article title and a short description of what the article is and offers the user. I’ve also decided on a colour scheme, which will be applied throughout the website. It comprises of stark white, yellows, greys and blacks – a very bee-esque colour scheme, fitting for the project.
Following my first tutorial with Honey, her main concern is that it may not include enough real core photojournalism. I understand her concerns, but with two meaty articles on climate change and pesticides, as well as the rest of the content, I feel that my project will contain more than enough photojournalism. After all, when this module was put to us during last semester it was defined as a complete package, which contained a certain number of words and photos. I’m confident that my website will encompass more than enough content to make an extensive and informative final product.
After initially intending to create the website on WordPress, research into customisability and available WordPress themes has shown that it would be very difficult to implement the design as it stands. In fact, the idea would have to be completely altered, which would impact massively on the tablet-optimised ethos and value of the project.
In order to maintain this customisability I have opted to use wix – a web-based wysiwyg HTML 5 site builder. Due to the nature of wix I am anticipating that I will be able to use workarounds to implement much of the design as it stands at this point.
Chris seems pretty happy with the initial plan of my project according to my pitch. One area which he has indicated he feels I should concentrate on is the actual design of the site, which could be time consuming, tricky and which, he says, will no doubt throw up a lot of problems on the way. Another of the key areas he feels I should focus on is how I will write for kids. As a father of young children, he has advised that things actually don’t need to be oversimplified to the point of boring them, but that the focus should be on engaging them on their level – something I definitely need to look into.
As the website is aimed at being displayed in museums and other educational institutions I have decided to implement a landing page, which will be displayed until someone interacts with the device. At this point the landing page features a clickable link to take people to the part of the site aimed at kids, and another for adults. I’m feeling fairly happy with this idea, although it is currently a very rough, yet functional draft of how the final product would work.
I have recently seen a number of professionals give presentations using Prezi and thought it a good idea to become accustomed to this new, dynamic presentation software. After getting to grips with the basics, I found Prezi a delight to use. I created a very simple presentation, but was able to add an extra spark of dynamism – something a bit different to every other presentation I saw during the class. I feel it is important to stay at the forefront of new technologies and software used by professionals in my industry.
Identified key areas to cover in pitch and simplified all of the knowledge gained through my research project to make it surprising, interesting, fact-filled and effective in the format of a five minute presentation – background, ‘Why’ the project is necessary and needed – Because bees are in crisis and they are vital to our ecosystem and the food we need to survive. People want to make a difference as illustrated by my research and the findings of Ipsos Mori, ‘What’ the artefact is – An educational tablet-optimised WordPress-based website comprising articles, guides and activities through copy and a range of photography, ‘Who’ the artefact is aimed at – Client = Museums, Consumers = adults and kids (separately), the environmentally conscious, future generations, ‘Where’ the final product would be utilised – in an educational environment, museums, schools, at home.
Today I presented my project pitch to the class and tutors. I’m happy with what I managed to present and despite feeling nervous, feel that I gave a solid presentation of my idea, aim and objectives. What I wanted to make clear was the importance of the issue, so that everybody would understand the reason why I am taking on this project. The feedback I’ve had from my classmates is that my project sounds interesting and ’different’. Luke said that he had no idea that there were any problems with bees and didn’t know how important they were before my presentation. I’m glad that I’ve been able to educate people about this issue as that’s a key objective of the whole project.